Haglund's Deformity and Physiotherapy Singapore
For appointments/enquiries, please SMS/Call/WhatsApp 96402670
Haglund's deformity refers to the bony enlargement at the back one's
heels. How it comes about is that the soft tissue near the achilles
tendon becomes inflamed and irritated with repeated rubbing against a
surface, most often a shoe. This then leads to the development of
bursitis.What Causes Haglund’s Deformity?
form of injury and deformity is often called "pump-bump" as it is often
caused by the pump-shoes' rigid backs that causes pressures that
irritates and aggravates the inflamed soft tissues when one walks on it.
Statistically, any form of shoes that has rigid backing, such as men's
dress shoes, women's pumps, ice skates can cause it.
a certain limit, the biomechanics and foot structure can increase the
chances of one developing haglund's deformity. Some of the natural
- A foot with high arches
- An Achilles tendon that is tight
- Walking habits
Haglund’s deformity can occur in one or both feet. The symptoms include:
- A bump at the back of the heel, visually obvious
- Painful or tenderness where the Achilles tendon inserts into the heel
- Swelling in the back of the heel
- Inflamed and redness at back of heel
Physiotherapy Singapore Treatment of Haglund’s Deformity
intervention almost always begins with the treatment aimed at
decreasing the inflammation, swelling and pain in the foot's bursa and
heel. This we do by utilizing approaches such as ultrasound therapy, icing therapy, gentle retrograde massage.
Whilst these physiotherapy approaches will help to resolve and decrease
pain and inflammation, these approaches do not shrink the bony growth
What Our Physiotherapy Services Can Do For You
- Pain, swelling and inflammation reduction
- Gentle and progressive stretch exercises to relieve tension and adhesions from the Achilles tendon
- For patients who has high arches of their feet, they will benefit from heel lifts or supports
- In some cases, heel pads placed inside shoes helps to cushion heels and reduce damage and inflammation when walking
- Advice on shoes choices and modifications
- Whenever necessary, advice on orthotic devices to help with foot biomechanics
- Immobilization for rest
Do I Really Need Surgery For Haglund's Deformity?
Usually patients often seek non-invasive/surgical physiotherapy
interventions first, and only if that fails to provide adequate and
enough pain relief, then surgery may be helpful - we will also refer you
to the ankle and foot surgeon/specialist to advise you further.
Where to next?
- Make A Physiotherapy, Hand Therapy or Deep Tissue Release Singapore Appointment
- Arrange A CallBack or Make An E-Enquiry Here
- See the list of physiotherapy conditions we treat
- Return to Urbanrehab's Physiotherapy and Hand Therapy Singapore Home Page from our haglund's deformity page
Back to Top
Our Physio & Rehab Expertise
Specialist Rehab Group works with specialist physiotherapists and specialist rehab therapists who are highly trained, qualified, experienced and passionate to provide high level of expert care to our patients.
Areas of specialization
- physiotherapy: back and neck (spine), sports, shoulder, hip, knee, ankle
- hand therapy: forearm, wrist, hand and fingers
- podiatrist: leg, calf, ankle, foot and toes
- read more on our specializations here
All our therapists are fully insured and registered with Allied Health Professions Council (AHPC) and Traditional Chinese Medicine Board (TCM). See our entire team here by location and specialization.
Initially, our specialist physiotherapists will carry out a thorough
assessment, helping them to select the most appropriate treatment to
help you recover. They then provide
expert treatment for your pain as well as prescribing specific
exercises to reduce your risk of re-injury and giving you a long term
To call for inquiries or appointments, please contact us at:
Tell A Friend About Us
We appreciate you as a patient and want you to know that the #1 way we grow as a clinic is through word of mouth referrals from valued patients like yourself.
We do not rely on advertising - instead, we prefer and appreciate the goodwill and positive reinforcement from patients.
When you have the opportunity, please take the time to tell your family, friends and physicians about the positive results and experience you have had in our clinic.
Thank you so much, and stay healthy!
SPECIALIST REHAB APPOINTMENTS & ENQUIRIES
Please Call/SMS/WhatsApp to 96402670, thanks!
We are a wholly Singapore Private Limited group of licensed physiotherapists, hand therapists, podiatrists, chiropractors, sports massage therapists, clinical pilates practitioners and TCM physicians practicing in our scope of rehabilitation and its areas of specializations. As listed in our website are the list of services we provide our clients as referred by their medical doctors or by self referrals/word of mouth.
The range of rehabilitation results vary from patients to patients, depending on a variety of factors and reasons such as severity of condition, genetics, gender and age. However, we will still deliver the best evidence-based-practice of physiotherapy, hand therapy, TCM, sports training and deep tissue release therapy that we can deliver.
The information available on this site is for educational purposes only, if you need a full professional advise on physiotherapy, hand therapy and occupational therapy, please schedule an appointment with us by contacting our staff by Call/SMS/WhatsApp at 96402670, thanks!