Shoulder Dislocation and Subluxation Injuries Physiotherapy
Shoulder Dislocation And Subluxation Injuries, And How Physiotherapy Helps
Shoulder dislocation and subluxation injuries refers to the event of the humeral bone (the single long bone of your arm) when it dislocates or subluxes out of its socket in the scapular (which is your shoulder blade).
There are generally 3 different dislocations and subluxations by movement, be it forward dislocation (anterior), backwards (posterior subluxation) or downwards (inferior dislocation). In fact, it can also dislocated in a combination of the three, but the most common is the forward one, where the arm bone pops forward.
A shoulder dislocation is almost always very, very painful, especially if it's the first one; and you may also experience numbness from the whole arm or just numbness in your hands.
A subluxation refers to the event where your arm bone partially pops out, similar to the disclocation, but in a lesser extent. For subluxation cases, the bone usually pops right back in, usually on its own, or when the patient pushes the bone back in. Shoulder subluxations is also equally as painful, and patients also often reports feeling numbness in their arm and hands.
Shoulder Dislocation and Subluxation: Common Causes
Most of the time, subluxations and injuries happens due to direct physical injuries such as:
- participating in contact and physical sports such as rugby, soccer, wrestling etc
- involved in accidents or traumatic events
- having existing shoulder injuries, pains and instability
- soft tissue injuries such as torn/lacerated tendons or ligaments
- falling on outstretched hands (FOOSH)
The FOOSH is one of the most common way patients get this injury, as falls and slips can easily happen anywhere, and to anyone of any age.
Shoulder Dislocation and Subluxation: Physiotherapy Diagnoses and Treatment
Should you or someone you know recently injured their shoulder and worse, have had a recent shoulder subluxation or dislocation, they are advised to seek medical treatment immediately.
This is to ensure that the bone is re-located back to where it belongs, or risk further injury or complications. Your doctor will likely assist to re-locate the bone back into place, with the help of anesthesia (often termed as MUA - manipulation under anesthesia) or without, if the situation doesn't permit (allergy, etc) - for a list of orthopedic doctors we work with in Singapore, visit this page.
Following that, you will likely have to undergo an X-Ray, to ensure that:
- Even though the bone is back into place, it's in good alignment
- Ensure there is no fracture parts - if there is, then you may have to undergo surgery to remove the bony fragment, especially if it needs to be removed.
Shoulder Dislocation and Subluxation: Symptoms
If you suspect you have either a subluxation or dislocation, but you're not too sure - here are some symptoms that you can refer to:
- you have a very acute and sudden sharp pain in your shoulder
- you experienced loss of feeling (numbness) in your arm and hand
- you feel that your shoulder seems swollen and warm/hot
- you find that you shoulder feels very weak and heavy
Shoulder Dislocation and Subluxation: Physiotherapy
Patients who have had injuries to their shoulder, and especially with dislocated shoulders most definitely have to undergo physiotherapy, to treat and prevent future re-dislocations. This will have a large positive impact on preventing long term complications of the shoulder complex.
During the first session, the physiotherapist will assess and diagnose the injury, its severity and aggravating factors, before setting an intervention plan for you.
Interventions may include but is not limited to:
- ultrasound therapy to accelerate soft tissue healing
- electrical stimulation to decrease pain and help muscle growth
- heat therapy to loosen stiff muscles and joints
- range-of-motion exercises to ensure that your shoulder range of motion is not compromised
- progressively, we will add gradual resistive exercises to strengthen the muscles around the shoulder (such as the rotator cuff exercises) to increase shoulder stability and prevent re-disclocations
- provide practical advice about using your shoulder and arm safely with everyday living and work tasks
- and get you back to sports and activity as pre-injury
Return to Urbanrehab: Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation Solutions from our Shoulder Dislocation and Subluxation Page
Back to Top
Our Physio & Rehab Expertise
Specialist Rehab Group works with specialist physiotherapists and specialist rehab therapists who are highly trained, qualified, experienced and passionate to provide high level of expert care to our patients.
Areas of specialization
- physiotherapy: back and neck (spine), sports, shoulder, hip, knee, ankle
- hand therapy: forearm, wrist, hand and fingers
- podiatrist: leg, calf, ankle, foot and toes
- read more on our specializations here
All our therapists are fully insured and registered with Allied Health Professions Council (AHPC) and Traditional Chinese Medicine Board (TCM). See our entire team here by location and specialization.
Initially, our specialist physiotherapists will carry out a thorough
assessment, helping them to select the most appropriate treatment to
help you recover. They then provide
expert treatment for your pain as well as prescribing specific
exercises to reduce your risk of re-injury and giving you a long term
To call for inquiries or appointments, please contact us at:
Tell A Friend About Us
We appreciate you as a patient and want you to know that the #1 way we grow as a clinic is through word of mouth referrals from valued patients like yourself.
We do not rely on advertising - instead, we prefer and appreciate the goodwill and positive reinforcement from patients.
When you have the opportunity, please take the time to tell your family, friends and physicians about the positive results and experience you have had in our clinic.
Thank you so much, and stay healthy!
SPECIALIST REHAB APPOINTMENTS & ENQUIRIES
Please Call/SMS/WhatsApp to 96402670, thanks!
We are a wholly Singapore Private Limited group of licensed physiotherapists, hand therapists, podiatrists, chiropractors, sports massage therapists, clinical pilates practitioners and TCM physicians practicing in our scope of rehabilitation and its areas of specializations. As listed in our website are the list of services we provide our clients as referred by their medical doctors or by self referrals/word of mouth.
The range of rehabilitation results vary from patients to patients, depending on a variety of factors and reasons such as severity of condition, genetics, gender and age. However, we will still deliver the best evidence-based-practice of physiotherapy, hand therapy, TCM, sports training and deep tissue release therapy that we can deliver.
The information available on this site is for educational purposes only, if you need a full professional advise on physiotherapy, hand therapy and occupational therapy, please schedule an appointment with us by contacting our staff by Call/SMS/WhatsApp at 96402670, thanks!