Text Neck Physiotherapy
Text Neck Physiotherapy
If you take a look around you, it's hardly surprising to see people with mobile devices with bent necks using their mobile devices.
In Singapore, it's a very rampart situation - everyone does it, everywhere. In the MRT, in taxis, while they walk, while they talk, while they eat, while they're in the toilet/bedroom - it's so common.
Referring to the picture above, you can see how having an unnaturally bent neck can cause injuries to the neck, especially after a period of time.
People of all ages and walk of life can develop this text neck physiotherapy phenomenon. It is really a repetitive strain injury that is caused by over-stretching and inappropriate neck and upper back posture, causing aches and pains in the neck, back and even numbness in the hands and arms.
Studies are showing that 9 out of 10 people text with their necks overly-bent. If they sustained this over-bent neck long and frequent enough throughout the day, it will unnecessarily load your neck's disc and spine, as there is a flexion plus torsion force on the structures.
Over time, these force damage the disc joint and spine bone, and causes back pain and neck pain in about 8 out of 10 patients.
Eventhough technology is growing as a large part of our life, and as we increase the amount of time and effort on mobile devices and computers, it becomes all the more vital for us to learn good postural habits and ergonomics to prevent unnecessary strain.
Simple Tips For Text Neck Physiotherapy
- When using your mobile phone, hold up your mobile device, instead of bending your head. Your neck should only be mildly and comfortably bent, more of a reading angle, roughly around 15 degrees bent.
This will prevent strain because you can then look at the screen using your eyes instead of using your entire head (bending your neck). Note that your shoulders and hands should also be relaxed.
- Use voice command to dictate text and email.
- Have fixed regular breaks every 30 minutes - stand and stretch, have a quick sip of water, walk 30 steps and back. The problem of repetitive strain injury is the repetitive strain, so you should "break the pattern".
If you find yourself forgetting time often, it may be good to use a timer app or the traditional timer set to remind you to take a break every 15 to 30 minutes
- Stretch and move - for people who texts and uses mobile devices a lot, because of the hunched position, they tend to have tight muscles in their necks, upper and lower back, chest and finger muscles - so as you take your break, stretch the muscles affected.
- Drink up - you need to be well hydrated throughout the day, as dehydration causes your muscles to contract harder and fire more - not good when it causes you injuries.
- Limit your mobile device usage - it's good to consider leaving your mobile device alone as you move about, meet people and talk to people in person.
- See a physiotherapist - Pain in your back and neck is abnormal, and it's a signal from your body that something is wrong. Don't let pain be a part of your lifestyle (yes, people can get accustomed to it, but it'd cause long term problems)
Return to Urbanrehab: Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation Specialists home page from our Text Neck Physiotherapy Singapore page
Back to Top
Our Physio & Rehab Expertise
Specialist Rehab Group works with specialist physiotherapists and specialist rehab therapists who are highly trained, qualified, experienced and passionate to provide high level of expert care to our patients.
Areas of specialization
- physiotherapy: back and neck (spine), sports, shoulder, hip, knee, ankle
- hand therapy: forearm, wrist, hand and fingers
- podiatrist: leg, calf, ankle, foot and toes
- read more on our specializations here
All our therapists are fully insured and registered with Allied Health Professions Council (AHPC) and Traditional Chinese Medicine Board (TCM). See our entire team here by location and specialization.
Initially, our specialist physiotherapists will carry out a thorough
assessment, helping them to select the most appropriate treatment to
help you recover. They then provide
expert treatment for your pain as well as prescribing specific
exercises to reduce your risk of re-injury and giving you a long term
To call for inquiries or appointments, please contact us at:
Tell A Friend About Us
We appreciate you as a patient and want you to know that the #1 way we grow as a clinic is through word of mouth referrals from valued patients like yourself.
We do not rely on advertising - instead, we prefer and appreciate the goodwill and positive reinforcement from patients.
When you have the opportunity, please take the time to tell your family, friends and physicians about the positive results and experience you have had in our clinic.
Thank you so much, and stay healthy!
SPECIALIST REHAB APPOINTMENTS & ENQUIRIES
Please Call/SMS/WhatsApp to 96402670, thanks!
We are a wholly Singapore Private Limited group of licensed physiotherapists, hand therapists, podiatrists, chiropractors, sports massage therapists, clinical pilates practitioners and TCM physicians practicing in our scope of rehabilitation and its areas of specializations. As listed in our website are the list of services we provide our clients as referred by their medical doctors or by self referrals/word of mouth.
The range of rehabilitation results vary from patients to patients, depending on a variety of factors and reasons such as severity of condition, genetics, gender and age. However, we will still deliver the best evidence-based-practice of physiotherapy, hand therapy, TCM, sports training and deep tissue release therapy that we can deliver.
The information available on this site is for educational purposes only, if you need a full professional advise on physiotherapy, hand therapy and occupational therapy, please schedule an appointment with us by contacting our staff by Call/SMS/WhatsApp at 96402670, thanks!